My dread had good reasoning. But we'll get to that later.
This Morning...
I had a couple hours to kill before I could make the move and go check in to the new digs, so I hopped on the Tube, having no idea of where I wanted to go, my body apparently decided to get off at Marble Arch, at which point I remembered it was Sunday and frolicked away with glee to Speaker's Corner. Last time I went, it was pretty chill. A small fight broke out [at which point Caitlin and I took our business elsewhere - To ice cream and geese], but today was probably more typical.
I watched a not as die-hard Muslim man tell us how beautiful natural women are and how I'm a whore because I colour my hair, and, even worse, once made it blonde even though I was born brunette [would've loved to explain how it's not about not being okay with what you're born with, but about the style, the fun, like putting on new clothes]. Whatever, he had a sense of humour and I kinda liked him. Next, watched a hardcore Muslim man go on about things I didn't understand, mostly because I didn't understand what he was saying, so I moved on when I heard the voice of an old lady yelling behind me.
Yes, an old lady was up on her soapbox [painty ladder thing?] saying how there's no heaven or hell [okay, we agreed that far...buuuut no farther] and everybody is greedy and sick and it's what's on the inside that makes us who we are, and she kind of blathered a bit, but it was pretty much 'Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God' without the religion or the knowledge of rhetoric, form, or language. Though, on the topic of language, she really got on the ball when she started saying how foreigners are evil, only pure English are good, only the pure English language is right [one guy had a northern accent, she called it 'bastardised English' and I could only have imagined what she would've thought of my thick northeastern American accent, or even better if I whipped out the southeastern Mass I've got in the repertoire]. Good moment: When she picked a fight with a young ginger boy who made the point we were all thinking - How just about every word of English is derived from Latin, French, et cetera. Soon after came the real entertainment, though: Some guy came out of nowhere, looking a little like he came off the street, smelling a little like he came out of the pub, pretty sure it wasn't soda he was carrying, and he turned out to be one of the most witty, entertaining people I've met in a very long time! He came out of nowhere and literally became the commentator of the woman's speech.
Some highlights include:
[The woman mentions something about Death & Disease]
Man: I hate Death and Disease! Those are two of my least favourite experiences.
[After they'd gone on talking about Israel - The man was obviously very much Jewish...]
Woman: See, that's Babylon!
Man: No, this is Babble On.
Man: Madame Speaker, would you like to join the human race?
Woman: I would never want to be like you.
Man: I didn't ask you to join me, I asked you to join the human race.
[As she kept claiming how Jewish people are evil when she obviously new nothing about the religion or the culture...]
Man: What's your favourite kind of Jews? Apple jews? Grapefruit jews? [GET IT?! HAHA!]
Man: "All my life, I've wanted to wear a dress and high heels."
So yeah, it was that good. And you know, I've got respect for both of them for having the balls to get up in front of all those strangers and speak their minds, no matter how much anybody agreed with them. Speaker's Corner isn't only entertaining, it's pretty exhilarating. I have the same stand I had when I 'journaled' about it for CIC back in the fall: There's really nothing like it anywhere else. It's a rare opportunity.
Anyway so after another warm reading session under the sun [I'm addicted to Stephen Fry's writing as much to his acting - Favourited, done], it was time to return for The Big Move. I knew that the Victoria and Jubilee lines were down; I was prepared for that, but I planned on taking the Piccadilly line from Russell Square [because it's got lifts] to South Kensington and hop on the Circle line from there to Victoria. Wrongzo. Not only were those lines down, but the entire Piccadilly line wasn't running westward, which is where I needed to go. So took it east up to Kings Cross, transfered to the Circle line [lots of stairs, hell on wheels] which would be a much longer trip but at least I got a seat! Wrongzo. We get to Edgeware Road and they change our train from Circle to District. UGH. Hauled myself and my eighty pounds of luggage across the platform to my third bloody train and took the rest of the long ride to Victoria. There was a lot of lugging, struggling, heaving, hoing, and overall sweat involved. I made it, though.
And worth it! This place is miles better than Pickwick, though I love that place dearly. It's Uni Westminster housing, and I guess they sublet it in the summer to LAMDA. Got my own room that's at least twice the size of my Pickwick room, so much space, right across from both the kitchen and bathrooms. The toilet is private [not mine, shared, but private, y'know] and as are the showers. I've got a giant window through which peeps Westminster Cathedral, which is pretty much, right outside. It's really quite fantastic, and I'm really quite thrilled.
Here's a video so you can understand the thrill! The obligatory tour.
[Damn that starting frame was attractive, yeah? Hot Hot Stuff.] So yeah, awesome. Other than that, I'm a tiny bit nervous about class tomorrow...
HOLY CRAP, I START CLASS TOMORROW...AT LAMDA...WITH LAMDA...LAMDA CLASS TOMORROW.
But you know, it'll be cool, right? RIGHT?!
Another fun fact: I've been watching 'Spaced' non-stop since I bought it yesterday and not only has it made me want to watch 'Star Wars', but mostly, it has made me even more hellbent on making television. I know, I know, I'm here for theatre, but ever since Molly and I got the idea of making a show ['The Adventures of Lewis & Clark', that's copyrighted by the way, sort of] I've been so passionate about the idea. In general. And that's probably what's going to keep me out of a deep depression when I get back to the States.
People: Read things. Comment so I'll have stuff to read too. iChat me or Skype me or whatever it is you do. I demand it.
Not really, do what you like. Just miss y'all, kisses! harharhar.
I used italics a lot more than usual just then. Hm.

No comments:
Post a Comment